WINNING STUDENTS BADMINTON SELECTION CRITERIA 2015-2016
Athletes are nominated for a Winning Students scholarship by their sport's governing body provided they make the grade in their sport and academically.
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Student athletes eligible for support from Winning Students must:
- Have a British passport.
- Be undertaking a recognised education programme at a college or university in Scotland.
- Be able to represent either Great Britain or Scotland.
- Be aged 16-28 years-old or 16-35 years old for disability athletes.
Athletes must reach the lower age limit of 16 during the Winning Students year, which runs from 1st August to 31st July and be under 28 years of age on 1st January or for disability student athletes under 35 years of age on 1st August in the Winning Students year. Scholarship upper age limits are flexible.
EDUCATIONAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Student athletes eligible for Winning Students scholarships must be:
- Studying at a college or university which is part of the Winning Students network.
- College students should be undertaking at least seven hours of course delivery time each week while university students must be undertaking a study programme equivalent to at least 60 credits each year.
- Postgraduate students should be undertaking a study programme of no less than 50% of the full-time student programme.
In addition to the general eligibility and the educational eligibility criteria players must:
1. Have medalled at European Championships, Commonwealth Games or World Championships at Junior or Senior level (able-bodied or disabled) from 1 May 2014; and/or
2. Be a full-time member of the BADMINTONscotland Senior Training squad (as identified by the National Head Coach) or the GB programme; and/or
3. Have been selected to represent Scotland at senior level from and including 1 May 2014
It should be noted that BADMINTONscotland is responsible for nominating individuals to the scheme. BADMINTONscotland is responsible for final selection of players for Winning Students awards who meet the criteria above. In the event of more players meeting the criteria than awards available, BADMINTONscotland will make the final selection. Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence is responsible for the governance of Winning Students which is funded by the Scottish Funding Council.
Scholarship Starting Date
- 1 August in each year.
- Any appeals, relating to the selection of players, will be dealt with through the BADMINTONscotland appeals process.