Senior Team Selection Criteria
Teams will be selected according to the following priorities :
- Athletes who are identified as having the potential to win medals or matches at the event in question.
- Where a full team cannot be selected from category 1, they should look to athletes who are identified as having the potential to win medals or matches in the foreseeable future.
- Where a full team cannot be selected from categories 1 and 2, the strongest available player should be selected.
Should a player wish to lodge an appeal against non-selection for a Senior Team event, they may do so under the terms of BADMINTONscotland’s appeals process.
Criteria for Selection into National Senior Squad Training
The National Head Coach will have sole discretion for selecting players for the Senior Squad, based on the following criteria:
1. Players will be selected who are deemed to have the potential to show commitment, attitude and
performance levels required to be a world class player; whilst working towards gaining selection to
National Senior Team; or GB programme and team.
2. Members of the National Junior Squad who are 16 years or over may be considered for invitation to the National Senior Squad by the National Head Coach. In exceptional circumstances, National Junior Squad members who are younger than 16 may be considered from time to time, at the sole discretion of the National Head Coach
Players may be offered a place in the Senior Squad on the basis of a three, six or twelve month invitation, with reviews being conducted after an agreed period of time.
The length of invitation to the squad will be at the sole discretion of National Head Coach, as will be continued involvement after each agreed invitation/selection period.
Training programmes will be delivered at the sole discretion of National Head Coach at all times (with exception of those players training at Milton Keynes on GB Programme)
Squad members will follow the competition programme given to them by the National Head Coach who will have sole discretion on all competition matters including club matches. However , entries in Scottish International and Scottish National Championships will be mandatory (subject to exceptional circumstances)
Senior Squad sessions will take place in the National Badminton Academy in Glasgow (unless exceptional circumstances deem otherwise). In the majority of circumstances, the sessions will be delivered between Monday – Saturday each week, with recovery day on Sundays (unless exceptional circumstances deem otherwise). The content of all sport specific and generic training sessions/service provision will be at the sole discretion of the National Head Coach. In matters of generic support service these will be delivered in collaboration with appropriate personnel from sportscotland Institute of Sport, where deemed appropriate.
Players invited to attend the National Senior Squad are not guaranteed to be nominated for selection to sportscotland Institute of Sport. All nominations for players to the sportscotland Institute of Sport will be at the sole discretion of National Head Coach.
There is a finite level of resource available to National Senior Squad programme. Therefore allocation of these resources to player/s selected into National Senior Squad will be at sole discretion of National Head Coach.